Jon*Hollie*Attika*Gage*Tula

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

White Chicken Chili

I got this recipe from a friend and it's just too good not to share! It's called white chicken chili soup. (it really does have more of a soup consistency)

You will need:
1 medium onion
2 cans chicken broth
2 small cans green chillis (mild & diced)
3 cans Great Northern Beans (drain, rinse)
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 breasts of chicken
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream (liquid)
Lime flavored Tostito chips or any tortilla chips
Shredded Fiesta blend cheese

Instructions:
Boil chicken on medium heat for 20 min. Remove from heat and cube chicken or shred it.
While chicken is cooking saute the onion in a little butter for 10 min. In pan combine broth, chillis, beans, all spices, and onion then cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Then add cooked chicken, sour cream, and whipping cream. Sprinkle cheese to your liking and serve with lime flavored Tostito chips (I ended up crinkling mine). Serves 8.

Ok, so the credit for this recipe goes to Karly Okey-her version was amazing. When I made it I altered a few things, instead of 3 cans of great northern beans, I added 1 can of black beans (I like a splash of color) and used 2 cans of great northern. Also, I sauteed the chicken rather than boiled it, boiled chicken sucks. Karly explained to me that she baked hers, so to each her own. If I were you I'd stick as closely to the recipe as you can because Karly's was much better than mine.




Enjoy!

p.s. Also make sure you drain AND rinse the beans-it makes a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I've made this before, but the recipe didn't call for whipping cream. Yum. I'm gonna add that next time. The friend I got my recipe from uses canned chicken. Gag. The breasts make the differnece too. Try adding fresh lime juice next time. Delish!!!

    ReplyDelete